Thursday, September 27, 2007

Sleepless night & cloth diapers

Two nights ago we had our first truly "sleepless" night. We as in Cedric and I. Or maybe just I. Until 6am I wasn't able to snooze longer than 15-minute stretches. At 6am we got about 30 minutes straight. The reason: Cedric had a pretty good fever and refused to sleep unless he was in my arms and sitting up. Poor guy. He would wake every 15 to 20 minutes and then cry until I got him comfortable again and he would fall back asleep. I was alone (Tim was still absent on his trip) and extremely tired, the thermometer broke, and I wasn't sure Cedric should be crying and refusing to be comforted as much as he was, so I called Mom at 5:45 and, bless her, she volunteered to come help me. She arrived around 7am and took Cedric so I was able to get a few hours of sleep. Thank you, Momma!!!

Tim came home as soon as he could that next day and Cedric's fever broke late the next night. He had a much better night, only having one spell of an hour and a half of wakefulness. He had a normal night last night and is doing very well today, though he does have a case of diarrhea. His runny nose is clearing up and he's playing and eating much better. I, however, am coming down with the cold. Stuffy head and sore throat and headaches. Nothing too terrible, but I am soooo thankful that I didn't get this the same time Cedric did.

Has anyone had the experience of Dimetapp keeping babies awake? The last two nights Cedric would be very tired right before bed until we gave him a dose of Dimetapp and he would become very wriggly and awake for another two hours.

It was so cute last night. It was a milestone for me. Tim and I started a movie (after the dose of Dimetapp. I think we're going to be extra stingy with it from now on.) while Cedric played and climbed up and down, up and down from our laps. He wouldn't sit still for very long but he liked to lay on the floor and roll around. Eventually, an hour and a half after bedtime, he finally fell asleep, on the floor at our feet. :) It was so adorable! That was the first time he fell asleep somewhere other than in our arms, carseat, or swing. He fell asleep all by himself. He's growing up so much. It reminds of the milestone when he first crawled out of sight of me and out of the room by himself. Such big changes. :)

Well, we have finally gotten cloth diapers for Cedric! I know it's really a funny thing to be excited over, but I really am! We figured out that it is cheaper to do cloth diapers if you end up using them for more than one child. We plan to use cloth diapers on any future children so we are going ahead and starting with Cedric. I am just finishing up washing them and then I'll start using them. It'll take me and Cedric some getting used to, but I'm looking forward to it.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Hi Hon,
I've found that kids react individually to different antihistimines at different times in their lives. Skip Dimatap for now and try a different antihistimine - be sure to check the label to insure it is different. Also, you will sometimes get the hyper reaction when they're given a bit too much for their body to process; they overdose. It may be within the dosage directions on the label, but their bodies may be more sensitive at that time. I'd keep the Dimetap though because in six months it may work just fine for him.

I'm still royally freaked out by that monstrous black widow on your door jamb...shudder.

Love you,
Aunt Debbie