Saturday, August 25, 2007

Saturday thoughts

Well, yesterday Cedric and I made our second trip to the nursing home. We got to visit with Ruth Larsen again and her roommate also, Erma Greentree. Erma was able to hold a conversation, so it put me a little more at ease. Yes, I'm American, sitting in silence is not usually comfortable. : ) Cedric was a little shy at first but soon warmed up and had a good time fiddling with their wheelchairs. Ruth has the sweetest smile and really seemed to enjoy Cedric. After 15 minutes or so, Cedric and I said good-bye and slowly made our way down the hall. The various ladies sitting in the hall were delighted to see Cedric. Every nurse, including the men, seemed to enjoy seeing him as well. I think they need more children around that place. That's why nursing homes seem so sad to me... Rarely do you ever see a visiting child. I think the very old and the very young belong together. The very old need the very young, even if some don't know it. : )

Today I am at work, covering the Satuday shift at Havillah Road Printing & Graphics, the same place where I worked full-time the year before Cedric was born. I normally work only 1 Saturday a month for 4-1/2 hours, but this month I'm working 2 Saturdays. Cedric is with Nammy at her house. Every time I leave Cedric, even with Nammy & Grandpa (with whom he is happy to go), my heart aches a little. That feeling has diminished quite a bit from when Cedric was very little, but it's still noticable. That invisible rubberband between us is stretching uncomfortably. : )

I thank God for the opportunity and a husband who is willing to allow me to stay home and tend to my top ministries, my son and husband. Sometimes I consider the possibility of something happening to Tim, either debilitation or death, that would require me to work ouside the home. I realize how much my dreams rely on Tim. Without him and his capabilities, my dreams for my life would completely fall apart. Though my dreams seem suspended by a single strand, they are in fact supported by God Himself. If that strand should break, hope is not lost, for this life isn't what it's all about anyway. The hope of what is to come for us as believers makes the suffering here on earth, no matter how unfathomable and horrendous, manageable. The losses experienced here will be made up for in the Beyond. Whatever cup God gives to me to drink, I will drink.

No comments: