Friday, August 17, 2007

Daycare playdates

Every Thursday for the last 4 weeks Cedric and I have been spending an hour or so playing at a small daycare. It is a little ways out of Tonasket and run by Linda Fowler, an older lady who goes to our church (she was at our wedding). She is the mother of Tim’s long-time friend Janis. I think they’ve known each other for something like 14 years and went to school and youth group together. Janis was going to the same bible study where I met Tim, so I met Linda not long after. Linda was a confidant to Tim and gave him good coaching and advice through that first year after we met when I kept rejecting his offers to take me out. : ) Tim has called Linda “Mom” for years and she’s a real prayer warrior who “adopts” many kids. I remember seeing my picture up on her prayer wall. : )

There are usually 5 or 6 kids there. One is a 10-month-old boy who just learned to walk and then there is a 18-month-old girl. The rest are 4- to 7-year-old girls, I think. The 18-month-old girl is a little pushy (or pull-y :), she likes to try to drag Cedric around by the arm, so he hasn’t really hit it off with her. He hasn’t hooked up with the newly-walking 10-month-old either because they’re just at different stages. The older girls, however, really have fun with him and Cedric enjoys himself too. It’s good for Cedric to watch how older kids behave.

Linda is just tickled to have Tim’s baby there. : ) Tim used to be at their house all the time during high school and she has claimed him as “one of her kids”, so I think Cedric is kind of like a grandchild to her (she doesn’t have any biological ones yet).

We haven’t returned to the nursing home yet. I have intended to every week since that first visit but I only like doing 1 outing a day and something else important always comes up. I hope they don’t think I was scared away or something. : )

I think Tim is hooked on shaving his head. He really likes how it looks and so do I. He looks very macho. :P Also, I think he likes not having to be conscious of his receding hairline. That always bugged him a bit, though I couldn’t have cared less.

No comments: