Thursday, August 23, 2007

Food

I’ve been using a color chart to help in choosing fruits and veggies for Cedric’s menu. There are 5 colors on the chart, and I make sure that he gets at least 1 serving from each category every day. Here’s the chart:

Blue/Purple: Plums, Grapes, Blueberries, Prunes, etc.
Red: Tomatoes, Beets, Red Apples, Cherries, Strawberries, etc.
Yellow/Orange: Sweet Potatoes, Squash, Carrots, Oranges, Mangoes, etc.
White: Potatoes, Bananas, Pears, Cauliflower, etc.
Green: Spinach, Broccoli, Green Beans, Peas, Zucchini, etc.

I make all his food at home and my little manual food grinder is getting tiresome. I need a good food processor. What’s the difference between the results of a blender and a food processor? I do have a blender. Hmm.

I have just finished making the 2nd batch of my first try at making jam on my own. We have a peach tree in the front yeard that provided the fruit. I found a delicious recipe for Vanilla Peach Jam on www.recipezaar.com. The first batch, made a week ago, has not yet set, so this batch was boiled a bit longer. I’m keeping the first batch as Vanilla Peach Syrup. : ) It’s fantastic on pancakes and icecream. A little chocolate also drizzled over the icecream and it’s nearly gourmet. : ) Here’s the recipe link:
Vanilla Peach Jam

2 comments:

Becki said...

I am all for homemade baby food and just feeding your children what you are eating. That jarred stuff (while handy and convenient) tastes like cardboard...yuck. I like the color idea as well...good way to get all the nutrients.

Kristi said...

Lindy, I would recommend a food processor for baby food. The blender will do a fine job of purees and such (as long as you add enough liquid), but will stink at coarsely chopping food. A big benefit of a processor is that it can do lots of other things too, like bread dough, slicing (think lettuce/cabbage/potatoes, etc) and shredding en masse and very quickly.