Thursday, August 2, 2007

Our first trip to the nursing home

Yesterday Cedric and I made a trip to the nursing home here in Tonasket to visit the old folks. I’ve had it in mind to do this with Cedric and finally got around to it. I’m glad I did. I hope to go at least a couple times a month. I arranged it with the “activities lady” and she introduced me to a lady named Ruth Larsen who was alone in one of the cafeterias. She wasn’t able to hold a conversation with me but she was alert enough to comment on everything that Cedric was doing around the room. I just sat with her while we watched Cedric play, and she had a sweet smile on her face the whole time. Once, I asked her if she had any grandchildren and she just looked at me with twinkling eyes and such a smile. I took that as a “yes”. :)

After about 20 minutes or so we needed to leave so the room could be mopped, so we said goodbye to Ruth and told her that we’d be back. On our way down the hall we were stopped by several more of the residents to oo and ah over Cedric. He was quite a hit. I realized what an easy but huge gift I can give these older folks by letting them enjoy my son. So we’ll keep up the visits.

Cedric did very well and was happy to give a big smile to most everyone who said “hi”. I hope these visits to the nursing home will instill a comfort with and enjoyment of older people in Cedric. I also hope this spills over into an easygoing-ness about meeting people who don’t look like the younger white people he is most often around. Hopefully, tools for a lifetime.

2 comments:

DARALYN said...

Not having any great or great-great grandparents nearby to live along side is a loss for our youngins'. Visiting the people at the nursing home will fill that niche very nicely. Teaching the kids that their presence is a joy to others will be a life long lesson for them, too. There is nothing like the energy of a young person or person young at heart...

Lindy, I've gotten comments from some of the nurses there at the nursing home who saw you at the nursing home and hope you and Cedric keep coming back!

Tim and Holly said...

What a good idea! I'm glad Cedric is already as comfortable as he is there. :)