Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Happy cross-quarter day!

Explanation: "Halloween's origin is ancient and astronomical. Since the fifth century BC, Halloween has been celebrated as a cross-quarter day, a day halfway between an equinox (equal day / equal night) and a solstice (minimum day / maximum night in the northern hemisphere). With our modern calendar, however, the real cross-quarter day will occur next week. Another cross-quarter day is Groundhog's Day."

I got that little bit of trivia from a site that gives a different astronomical picture and explanation every day (Astronomy Picture of the Day). It's awesome! You should really check it out. http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html I check it every day along with all the blogs. :)

Well, we have only had 1 trick-or-treater tonight and it was Cory Hailey and his step-daughter, Jadin. :) It was good to see them. I am disappointed though that the pumpkins didn't advertise sufficiently that we were open for trick-or-treating business! Oh well, next year we'll have to try decorating the other side of the house. Maybe that'll work.

I took some cute pictures of Cedric yesterday chasing Hemi. It was his after-dinner-right-before-bed hyperness. :) He was getting ready to take a shower with Daddy is why he's nakey.




We got Cedric his first pair of slippers the other day. Daddy picked out Spiderman. :) Here is Hemi and Cedric checking out his new look:



Today Cedric learned to say "horse". :) I've been letting him play with one of my old Bryer horses who's leg broke off. Here is a video of him saying "horse"; he was saying it all afternoon and pointing out my several other horse statues around the house. It really sounds more like "oot" but he definitely means "horse". :)


It's been so strange.... We have a music box that plays "King of the Road" and beginning yesterday it makes Cedric cry. I mean, like his heart is breaking, with big crocodile tears and everything. He's been asking us to play it, but it usually takes about 2 minutes before he'll break down crying, pointing at the music box. We have to go put it in the other room until it's done playing and then Cedric needs a few minutes of cuddling before he's okay to play again. And later in the day he might just ask us to play it again. Grammy was commenting that it must be the German blood in him because music has always really moved the men on the Hollenbeck side of the family, but I guess that's on the Likkel side as well. :) There is one song that has always made me cry and still can and it's "You Are My Sunshine". It's just so sad! I used to ask Mom to sing it to me even though it made me cry. Isn't music an amazing thing? Have you thought about the fact that music originated in heaven? It's one of those things that God has shared with us straight from heaven.

1 comment:

Amber said...

Cedric is so cute!!!! I love the video! thats funny about the music :) I never had that problem with Kadin. Easton doesn't really like music period which is very strange! :)