Friday, October 26, 2007

Dentist visit

My dentist appointment went really well yesterday. It was initially just going to be a new patient exam and we would do the cleaning next week, but someone canceled so they were able to do my cleaning right after the new patient exam.

I had no cavities and everything else looked really good. Even after 4+ years since a professional cleaning, I had very little buildup. I thank God for good teeth and saliva genes. :)

As it stands now, I don't think I'll get my wisdom teeth removed. My two concerns about them was the possibility of them someday fusing with my jaw and being nearly impossible to remove if bad cavities develop and also if they would speed and increase the forward migration of my teeth that happens with age and thus making them very crooked. The dentist didn't think it necessary to have them removed since I don't have a cavity-prone mouth and said that it's very rare for teeth to fuse with your jaw even if I were to develop cavities. He also explained that the wisdom teeth really don't have anything to do with the forward migration of the teeth. So I think I'll keep them. I'm relieved. :)

Did you know that cavities can basically be contagious? The hygienist was telling a story about a couple who came in. The woman took really good care of her teeth but the guy had nasty teeth. The hygienist warned the gal that by kissing a mouth full of bad bacteria, it was spreading to her mouth and could make it easier for her to develop cavities and gum problems. 8-0 Nobody ever talks about that. Tim takes really good care of his teeth, but he didn't really when I first met him, which is why I found this interesting in the first place. I think that should be good motivation for all those reluctant brushers and their partners; it's not just gross, it's dangerous. :)

1 comment:

Amber said...

its good to hear you are cavity free. Go Lindy!!!