Friday, May 23, 2008

Cedric stories

Cedric had his first (as far as we know :) taste of a bug this week. He was out on the porch, I was in the kitchen and had just given him a piece of cheese. I heard him yelling at something and in a minute or two he came in pointing to his mouth and saying "eat" over and over and gesturing for me to follow him. So I did and there on the porch was a half chewed piece of cheese right next to a half squashed beetle with a little bit of cheese stuck to it. The beetle was still alive but it's abdomen was not in the best shape. It was just gross. Every time Cedric eats cheese now he talks about beetles. :)

Cedric can be pretty emotionally responsive to music (runs in both sides of the family). King of the Road used to make him burst into tears but now it is Rock-a-bye Baby. I was reading him a nursery rhyme book earlier this week (singing all the ones that have tunes I know), and the very last one was Rock-a-bye Baby. About 30 seconds after I had finished, Cedric burst into tears. He was soooo sad! He kept saying, "Baby. Tree. Baby. Tree." He apparently understood the words enough to be very concerned for the baby up there in the tree (I've always been confused about the purpose of that song too...), and adding the melody to it was just too much. The silliest thing was that he kept asking me to sing it over and over again. I tried to get him distracted with something else, but no, he wanted the "baby" song. Every time I'd sing he'd burst into the saddest set of sobbing and tears you've ever heard. After singing it a few times, I started just reading it, hoping that it would help him process it without so much emotion. He'd make it through a few read-throughs before he'd start crying again. :) Silly guy. We finally wrapped it up and went to bed. No bad dreams luckily. :)

I thought these two pictures as comparisons were just adorable. The first is of Cedric at 4 days old. The second is of Cedric at 22 months.



Cedric has grown 1-1/2 inches in the past 4 months and gained almost 1 pound.

No comments: