Friday, March 21, 2008

Tim's new position

Next Friday Tim is going to be switching departments at Wal-Mart. He has tried many times to transfer out of Produce, even being willing to transfer to a lower level, but at one point he was straight up told that he would not be allowed to transfer because he was too valuable in Produce. Finally, however, he was offerred an overnight position (10pm - 7am, same days off) on the GM (general merchandise) side of the store. He'll be unloading trucks and stocking shelves, which is very similar to what he did at Target (a job that he really enjoyed). He won't be getting a large raise, but it is a raise. That combined with less stress (besides the deli, Produce has the next highest expectations and pressures due to the perishables); fewer "bosses"; getting out of the produce rut, which means he will likely be able to transfer to departments and shifts that he prefers much easier; and just changing scenery, I think will make the night shifts worth it.

Tim is still going to be looking for another job in Spokane or here and plans to stick with night shifts for no longer than 6 months. I am a bit nervous about the changes this will bring to our schedules, but Cedric and I are really pretty flexible. A change needed to be made for Tim's sake, and therefore I'm sure it will benefit the rest of us as well. It's just never fun making changes at first. :)

We had a water scare last week. I had thought I noticed the tap water was a bit yellow/brown but wasn't sure if it was just my eyes, so I had Tim bring home a bottle purified water to compare it with and our tap water was indeed not right. I kept a couple samples and at one point it was so murky that by the next day the sludge had settled on the bottom of the cup. It thoroughly freaked me out. I still don't know if it was just good clean dirt or if there were any toxins in it. I left a message with the landlord but they have not returned our call. Luckily the water has been clear since those 2 days, but I refuse to drink it straight again so we now have a brand new Brita water pitcher. Both Tim and I can really taste the difference in flavor. I just really hope that murky water was not harmful.

2 comments:

Amber said...

Yikes!! That is scarey about the water!! Hope you get a hold of the landlord soon. Its a good sign that noone has gotten sick from it. Keep us updated. Love you!

Deanne said...

I was so glad to hear about Tim's new position at work...a change of pace can mean so much when a person has gotten to the point of feeling that need to change! I know the hours may feel weird for a bit, but I have no doubt that you'll adjust quickly and even find perks with this new schedule.

As far as the water goes, are you on a private well or city water? If it is through the city, I will be willing to bet that they were "repairing" the system somewhere or have a small hole that when the system is in heavy use, sucks in from the break in the line...same thing can happen on a well. If it is through the city, a call to them might set your mind at ease...

Love you much, Aunt Deanne