Monday, April 21, 2008

Grampa

Something that I’ve asked myself over this past year is if I could bring him back, would I? I’ve decided that, no, I wouldn’t. For my sake, yes, but not for his. Knowing what I know of Heaven, I would not wish him back.

I remember his memorial… there were so many people there. I kept hearing over and over that Grampa meant so much to them because he was so kind. He made them feel special. He cared. He really saw them and gave them his time and his complete attention. He cared about people and things that mattered to them just because they mattered to them. This is how he made me, too, feel always throughout my life.

Grampa’s cared for people. People and relationship were what was most important to him. Grampa’s entire life substantiated and demonstrated Christ’s promise that through His sanctifying power people can and do change.

I have learned from Grampa that people may forget what you did, people may forget what you said, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

People are what matter to the heart of God, and Grampa new that and lived it.

I want to be like Grampa by also learning and living out that highest of virtues which is love and compassion for people. Grampa, you are my inspiration.

When you are in the final days of your life, what will you want?...
Will you hug that college degree in the walnut frame?
Will you ask to be carried to the garage so you can sit in your car?
Will you find comfort in rereading your financial statement?
Of course not. What will matter then will be people.
If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now?
-- Max Lucado

4 comments:

DARALYN said...

Thank you for sharing this. I don't think I can memorialize him this year. Just in my heart.

Tim and Holly said...

Amen Lin :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Lin. And thank you for the phone call today. It just meant so much...
Love,
Grammy

Amber said...

Lindy, you sure have a way with words. :) You know my moms anniversay of death was sat. too and I agree with you I would not wish her back for her sake. Very well said and very heart felt.
Love you!!